MONDAY BOOK GROUP
MONDAY BOOK GROUP UPDATE:
The Senior College Monday Book Group has had a dynamic year of reading: history and social issues, historical fiction, science fiction, memoirs, and coming-of age stories. After meeting on Zoom for over two years, we resumed in-person meetings in June this year, and we expect to meet in person until December, when we will move to Zoom for the winter months. We have also welcomed four new members over the past year, adding new perspectives and reading interests!
We have modified our meeting time and week of the month to accommodate members’ needs and to avoid conflicts with Monday holidays (when the University is closed), so beginning in November 2022, we will meet the second Monday of each month, from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm.
Our December book, The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman explores the horrors and complexities of World War II and the Holocaust from the perspective of a young German girl.
We hope you enjoyed the 2022 reading list. The 2023 list will be coming soon!
THURSDAY BOOK GROUP
By Norma Blazer
The U.S. and the Holocaust is a three-part, six hour series that examines America’s response to one of the greatest humanitarian crises of the twentieth century. Americans consider themselves a “nation of immigrants,” but as the catastrophe of the Holocaust unfolded in Europe, the United States proved unwilling to open its doors to more than a fraction of the hundreds of thousands of desperate people seeking refuge. see website
MONDAY BOOK GROUP INFORMATION
The Monday Book Group meets the second Monday of the month from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Group Leader: Patrice Wehner
THURSDAY BOOK GROUP INFORMATION
The Thursday Book Group meets the fourth Thursday of the month from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Group Leader: Norma Blazer
- January 26: The Lincoln Highway: A Novel by Amor Towles
- February 23: The U. S. and the Holocaust – Full Documentary on Maine Public TV
- March 23: Time and Again by Jack Finney
- April 27: No-No Boy by John Okada
- May 25: Night of the Living Rez by Morgan Talty
- June 22: The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow
- July 27: The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline
- August 24: Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
- September 28: Deadline by Gerry Boyle
- October 26: Birds of a Feather(Maisie Dobbs Book 2) by Jacqueline Winspear
- No Meeting in November