Thank You For Your Interest in Teaching
Our classes and extensive lecture programs (Brown Bag Lectures and Granite Hill Lectures) are made possible by a dedicated “faculty of peers”. Senior College is built on this foundation of instructors who know and love a subject, skill, art, or craft and enthusiastically share their knowledge and talent.
We endeavor to create a curriculum that matches the interests of Senior College students and matches the standards of our sponsor, UMA. The senior in our name refers to our general competence and maturity. We already know how to learn and have well developed, easy going, social skills. We like school. You’ll likely like teaching here.
The form below will help us learn about the class you are proposing and how we can help make it a success. For the Fall 2019 Semester which begins September 16, forms are due June 1.
What happens next?
If you are a first time instructor, we will arrange for an in-person interview where we can answer your questions and discuss your proposal. Our conversation, plus the information on your form, will help us know how we can help with publicity – catalog, web, and word of mouth, and what help you might want in teaching, anything from being left alone to a mentor assisting in your classroom.
- There are two semesters - Spring (starts mid-March) and Fall (starts mid-September) - about 25 to 30 classes per semester.
- Classes are typically 2 hours long and run 8 weeks.
- Not including our Jewett Concert series, we produce about 25 lecture and forum events per year.
- Classroom facilities include white boards, overhead projectors, computers, etc. You can usually set up a video or powerpoint presentation on your laptop or thumbdrive, and project it.
- Up to $25 per student is allocated for books and materials.
The points above describe what we have done historically. Don’t hesitate to ask about something different. In particular, although we serve retired seniors well, we believe our classes are not easily available to those still working. We are currently looking to inaugurate Saturday classes and evening classes.
To add to or edit an existing proposal, enter you name, email, and phone. Fill in other fields with the word “same”. We will combine your proposals.