Home Discussion Forums Augusta Senior College Classes Classes and Presentations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    The Office
    • If you have any thoughts about offering or suggesting classes or other Zoom presentations, please reply here and get a discussion going.
    • If you might be interested in any of the offerings, please add your reply.  It helps with planning!
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by shelly.
    • This topic was modified 2 months ago by Ann Sullivan.
    • This topic was modified 2 months ago by shelly.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by shelly.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by shelly.
    Ann Sullivan

Art Ray has asked me several times to repeat a Brown-Bag lecture that I did years ago on the history of the Acadians–from their beginnings in North America to the expulsion (le Grand Dérangement) and the immediate aftermath. I’ve hesitated to do that because lots of people attended that lecture, and I eventually turned it into a course that also had quite a few participants. So I’m not sure how much interest there would be. If there is interest, I think I would expand the Brown Bag somewhat to include more important information. I would do two or maybe even three Zoom sessions. Anybody have any thoughts?

KFIED

I think its a great idea, Ann! Even though I enjoyed your earlier Brown Bag presentation and your class, I would enjoy hearing it again. Hopefully, I remember a little more each time I hear it! 🙂

Elizabeth
    Participant

I would like to know if there is interest in a power point program about Newfoundland. It could be held over one 90 minute session or two shorter sessions perhaps a week apart. I have spent parts of five summers on this lovely island at the edge of our continent.

danmitchell9
    Participant

Dan Mitchell here. This past Spring I developed a new architectural history class, “Modern Maine: Central Maine’s 20th Century Architectural History.” I wanted to “flesh out” the post-WWII years that were getting short shifted in my other classes, and I also wanted to get into the topic of modern historic preservation. What modern structures will be preserved? I imagine students will have good opinions on this as they have lived it. After the Covid-19 shutdown, I had the thought of using the new class as a vehicle to give students the information to do their own self-guided “architectural tours.” Maybe that could be a new diversion- driving around looking at architecture (probably mostly from the outside)? I like to do that myself. The class is loaded with images of local Maine examples. (Feedback from my previous classes has requested a more local focus.) However, I also try to make connections from local examples to bigger ideas. The class is still a Power Point presentation, but hopefully a Zoom-like interaction can add to things.

danmitchell9
    Participant

And. Sorry. I’m thinking the course could be 6 sessions.

mikexlevey
    Participant

Elizabeth,

I would be pleased to attend a Newfoundland presentation. 90 minutes at a time, maximum. Zoom wears thin for me somewhere after one hour.

Best personal regards to you and John.

Mike Levey

mikexlevey
    Participant

I would be very interested in watching Zoom lectures on the subject matter of the Acadians. I think Zoom has a pretty good limit of no more than 90 minutes, and would even feel gooed about several one hour zooms.

Michael Levey-

cwacker11
    Participant

I would be interested in attending any Zoom classes offered by our esteemed instructors, particularly the Acadians. I would need time to plan my schedule around garden and orchard projects.

Chuck

danmitchell9
    Participant

Mike, good point about the length of Zoom “classes.” I feel I could make shorter presentations. Maybe have more of them in total.

danmitchell9
    Participant

Also. PLEASE feel free to mention suggestions/improvements/changes/”wants” regarding a 20th century architectural course/presentation.

louisfontaine138
    Participant

Elizabeth,
    Cheryl and I just rescheduled our long planned vacation to Newfoundland to 2021. We and our travel companions would love to get information on the area. I think it would be well received.

louisfontaine138
    Participant

Ann,
    I think repeating the course on Acadians would be well received. I was surprised to see how many members of the Club Calumet were Acadians vs. Quebecois. If you would like, I can get a notice about the class in the Club Newsletter.

Martha Tait
    Participant

I would be very interested in a Zoom presentation on Newfoundland. My late husband and I were there in 2004 for over 4 weeks, enjoyed the people and the place so much we never even made it to St. John’s. We had hoped to return some day.

sebec9
    Participant

Yes, interested in NL class, Elizabeth. I’ve been in St. John’s 3 times visiting a friend and found it magical. Hi to you and John, Mary Jean

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.