05/20/2020 at 5:52 pm #17508KFIEDModerator
March 13th brought great disappointment to us all with the announcement that Senior College classes would be cancelled for the spring 2020 semester. It seemed apparent that UMASC would go into hibernation for the duration.
Not so! Much is still happening!
• The Board of Directors and most committees have continued to meet and plan via Zoom. Springtime normally brings the UMASC Annual Meeting when members vote on various business matters, hear annual reports, recognize achievements, and socialize over a pleasant luncheon. Like everything else these days, this year it will be different, but it will still happen! The Board of Directors is working on an alternative plan using Zoom. You will be hearing more about that soon.
• The website has changed to be a more interactive and dynamic vehicle for personal interaction. The most exciting new features are some examples of recent and upcoming Zoom classes and the Discussion Forum where Senior College members can ask questions and instructors can talk about plans for upcoming classes.
• Our newsletter, the Illuminator, should be hitting your mailboxes by the end of this month. Yet another way UMASC is striving to meet our community connected.
• Mike Bell taught his Roosevelt class online with great success and other instructors are already making plans for online classes and lectures. Check out the Classes and Presentations part of the Discussion Forum to see what is in the works.
• The Senior College Network is offering training for instructors who would like to teach a class or present a lecture using Zoom. Anyone who had a class or other presentation planned for this spring, or is thinking about one for the upcoming fall semester please consider doing this online. To learn more call 626-3551 or email using the Contact link.
So much of the benefit of being involved with UMASC is coming to campus and enjoying the social connections, the animated class discussions, and the friendships that develop. But times have changed (at least temporarily) and we need to adjust to this new social distancing world. This emphasis on taking Senior College online will not be to everyone’s liking but it is a way to stay connected while we have to stay apart.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.